The ocean gives us so much! Its calm power inspires us and makes us a better humans. The ocean is a source of oxygen, food and entertainment. The very life on Earth begun in the ocean! It is only fair to give something back.
You have probably heard how much damage plastic brings to our oceans. You also must have heard a thing or two about not using plastic. "Ban the bag", "Zero waste", "Stop Sucking" are just a few popular slogans i constantly see in the internet. And those are all very romantic. I admire people who can stop using plastic completely, live in a tree house, grow all of their food and have a 100% natural wild life. But they are few and far between.
As for the most of us, zero waste is just not an option. That kind of life requires tremendous amount of time and energy for replacing all the plastic products in our life, because unfortunately our society is just not set up for it yet. Therefore, when someone confront us with a request to stop using plastic, we either feel a lot of guilt, or close our eyes on the issue all together because it makes us too stressed out.
Here's the thing: even those who claim to be "zero waste" are exaggerating to say the least. If they post online, they at least use some sort of electronic device and an internet, which involves a lot of plastic stuff. They probably also drive a car, fly in plains and use electricity. They have regular houses and buy at least part of their food and clothing in the store. Simply put, even they are not Zero waste. They are simply trying to use less plastic. They have the time for it, because for the most of them it's their business.
I don't think that everyone should, or anyone can have a zero plastic life. But can we still make an impact? Absolutely! without any stress or shame involved, we can live our busy lives using our convenient plastic products, but a bit less of it. By simply being aware of an issue and skipping or replacing some plastic items here and there, we can make a difference.
My Plastic free moment
I invite you to join me on a quest to "less plastic" life. No stress, no pressure, no "zero"s or "never"s. Just less. Somewhere in between stress free and plastic free. I call such a life "Stresstic free"
To make it more fun, I've created a challenge on Instagram with a FREE Giclee print of my original painting as a reward ($85 value!)
For a chance to win, you need to complete these three requirements:
1. Post a photo or video of your Plastic free moment on your IG page, with the #myplasticfreemoment and tag me in it (@IrinaCumberland)
2. Pass on the challenge to your friend by tagging them under the Challenge post on my IG page.
The winner will be announced on the 1st of each month in my email newsletter, so don't forget to subscribe!
Plastic free moments are the times when you replace a plastic item with a more nature friendly one. Like, using a real cup instead of a plastic one, or a reusable straw, or bringing your shopping bag to a grocery store.. Be creative and have fun with it!
- You have to be at least 18 years old
- You have to have a shipping address in the US (sorry, no international shipping for a giveaway)
- You can enter as many times as you wish! 1 plastic free moment + 1 different friend to pass the challenge to = 1 entry. No need to subscribe to email newsletter more than once
- The winner will be announced on the 1st of the month in a newsletter. If I do not get a response from the winner with the shipping address within 24 hours, I will have to choose another winner, until someone gets back to me.
- The final winner will be announced on my IG page.